Monday 22 October 2012

Reading around the subject of Time and Death. Reasearch



Artes Mundi5 have commissioned a new performance work from me that will engage and respond to ideas within Theresa Margolles' work. I have been deeply moved by her work since witnessing the daily ritual that took place in the Mexico Pavilion at the Venice Biennale in 2009. At 4pm daily an attendant mopped the floors of the gallery space with the blood and water from Mexican murder victims. This evocative action was sensitive and highly charged. The controversy and poetics of washing ones national space with the remains of its unlawfully killed victims is such a strong statement. I feel privileged to be able to make a work in response to her ideas of time and death.
I have been amazed by the Death issue for this weeks New Scientist- I cant recommend it enough. Its more anthropological than scientific, and has sparked shed loads of ideas. Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman is furthering my understanding of time, and ways in which we experience it.
My performance 'Mother Time (a Memento mori)'  takes place at the Artes Mundi5 exhibition, in Margolles' space on 01.11.2012 at 1.05pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment