Sunday 9 September 2012

For Future Reference........


PALM + AMETHYST = FUTURE


I am currently making sketches and testing out ideas for my new project. I will be starting this new body of work in New York in October 2012. Flux Factory in Long Island City have invited me to be in a show curated by Sam Perry. My work is based on an experience I had on 10th avenue in October 2007, when I went to have my future told for $10. The psychic sat opposite me and made me hold a piece of amethyst. I was instructed to focus all my energy into it and then hand it back to her. I was sceptical as she sat facing me with her eyes closed as she intensely rubbed this stone....
"You're an artist aren't you?"
"Yes" I replied, shocked that in my conservative jeans and tshirt she could read this.
"You work in perhaps museums or galleries and like to see art. You are currently in love...'

The middle section of the reading was quite generic and I wasn't that surprised or convinced of her ability to read my future. What was said next alarmed me.....

"YOU WILL NEVER BE A MOTHER. YOU ARE TOO SELFISH."

This hit me like a ton of bricks. This mystic being shattered my hopes of a family and targeted a part of my future that I enjoyed dreaming of. On my return to Wales I began the For Future Reference... project and began collecting different accounts of my future.

Whilst in New York I plan to respond to this experience through performance. I also hope to return to that lady, who provided me with a completely different perspective on what my future holds.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment